Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Race:

I was born in China, lived there till I was 7. Then moved to Toronto and became Canadian. Then moved to the US where I am now an American citizen.

When I go back to China, people can sense I'm a foreigner and I get charged more for things than other Chinese people.

Here in the US, everyone sees me as an Asian girl. I once went to a country bar in Arizona where I simply just felt like a person, then when I was in the women's restroom, I looked in the mirror and I was made aware of the color of my skin.

Growing up in the US, there just weren't a lot of Asians in the media, there's white culture and black culture. If there are too many white people on a show, they throw in a token black guy. But rarely did I ever see an Asian person in the media. The complaints of the lack of African Americans that are up for the Oscars, well what about the fact that they used a white guy to be in a movie about the Great Wall? I listened to hiphop and rap growing up because I knew I wasn't white, so I tried to identify with black culture. I cried when "Fresh Off the Boat" aired because for the first time, I could relate and I felt understood.

I once met a person where they asked me 3 questions, "What's your nationality", "Do you speak Chinese", and "Have you ever been to China". This person had no other questions for me.

I simply have this feeling that I don't fit in, in any country. 

I love my cultural background. I'm proud to be Chinese, the 2008 Olympics brought tears to my eyes because we showed the world how hard working we are. The beauty of the choreography at the opening ceremony, the uniformity of the dance, was awe-inspiring.

I've traveled all over the world, S Korea, Japan, France, Switzerland, Netherlands, England, UAE, there's so much beauty in the different cultures, but everywhere I go, I simply see the beauty of humans.

One of the reasons I love NYC is because it's so diverse that I don't feel like I'm Asian, nor do I see people for their race, I just see people.

Online, on a near daily basis, I get asked the question "What type of Asian are you?". Some even say, "It's ok because I'm also Asian". Do caucasians get asked "What type of white are you?", or black people get asked "What type of African are you?", perhaps, but not as frequently as Asians get asked "What type of Asian are you?". Sometimes people say "You are tall for an Asian", or "You have big boobs for an Asian". I am even bothered by the fact that people ask if I have a black toy, which I do, but the fact that color matters, I think it's sad. I simply wish people would stop defining one another by their race because we are all homo sapiens.

Race is something that was formed due to natural selection and lack of migration, but technology, the invention of airplanes has made it so that we as humans have the ability to live and visit wherever we want. The advancements and intelligence of human life is simply beautiful.

The amount of interracial reproduction is creating so many mixed race babies and they are generally GORGEOUS. Whether it's half white/black, white/asian, black/asian, white/hispanic, etc. It's so unique and glorious to see the combination of different cultural backgrounds be brought together in the form of a new life.

I cannot wait for the day where humans have evolved to the point where we are all mutts and we just see each other as humans and not for our race.

Please don't make this an argument when I am just sharing my perspective and how I feel. Thank you for taking time to read this and I hope that people can understand where I am coming from.

Fin.

1 comment:

  1. It's sad how racism still exists in this world well atleast in some of the states I've traveled to than other countries. I'm interracially I mixed, I'm European,Trinidadian, Venezuelan & half Chinese (black/hispanic/asian) but I grew up here in the US where originally back in Southern California was where I grew up till i was 17 then moved out here to NY & have been living here ever since. I'm now 32 yet still living here in the city witch is the greatest city in the world, though yeah the same reason you love NY bubs is the same reason i do cause it's so diverse when it comes to the amount of cultures here.

    i actually really get annoyed when Caucasian/white people ask those questions, what race are you? what's your ethnicity? etc then right away they want to offend you to say something dumb. however, i do have some Caucasian in my family too since one of my cousins married a Caucasian woman afew months ago. so i guess I'm grateful to have a diverse tree but at the sametime i get annoyed cause I've dealt with people asking the same questions.

    I've traveled to Japan, England, Canada & Hawaii but i have extended family back in England also some cousins in Canada. always wanted to go to Switzerland & Netherlands yet have heard so much about those countries. as for the states, have been to Florida, Maryland, Boston, New Jersey, Washington, South Carolina & Vegas also can see they aren't like half the other states that are known to have racism still existing. i actually am all for interracial reproduction cause even i think it's wonderful but even it has its darkside cause people of your own race will call you a "sellout" cause you choose to date/marry someone who's not their race & that annoys me also. love is love but also in the end, those of color still get treated unfairly no matter what race they are. I hate it but sadly, we have to live each day with that reminder.


    ReplyDelete